Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Little Pigs BBQ, Asheville NC


This place claimed to be "Georgia Style", which I have since learned is a vinegar ketchup sauce over hardwood smoked, often pecan, meat, even though it was located in urban North(east) Carolina,pretty far from the Piedmont home of vinegar sauces and lowland home of mustard-based barbecues that carry the (North) Carolina label, even farther from Georgia. My parents really loved the ribs at this place; they were very saucy (the ribs, not my parents) and tender, as though they were cooked in a lot of liquid or something. I found the sauce a little soupy/ketchupy, and my "Carolina-style", meaning it had cole-slaw inside (Which I would have called Memphis style, or Tennessee style, but whatever. The parsing of the regional orthodoxy of BBQ styles gets real tedious for me real fast, and is ultimately meaningless, having more to do with turf than taste, but this sentence is already a run-on...), pulled pork sandwich was nearly impossible to eat as a sandwich. Both the pork and the slaw were really loose. It was plenty tasty, though. My phone/camera was out of juice, so these pictures of the parking lot were taken while it was charging in the car, but I didn't take it inside, so I didn't get any pictures of the food. I also didn't get any pictures of the food at the Arbor Grill on the Biltmore Estate, where I had what was my maybe my best meal on the whole trip, a chicken salad with local bacon and blue cheese. The only picture I did manage to take at the Biltmore Estates was this one below, which a docent yelled at me for taking.



No comments:

Post a Comment